Johnson Memorial Hospital (JMH) recognizes the importance of family and friends to a patient's recovery and encourages visits from them with its family-oriented visitation policy. Yet, some restrictions are necessary to ensure proper patient care. Also, when visiting, common sense should be your guide. For example:
- Individuals with colds, infection or other communicable diseases should not visit patients at JMH.
- To avoid tiring the patient, limit visitors to two at a time.
- Don't sit on the patient's bed, move the patient or offer food or beverage without consulting the nurse.
- Visitors are not allowed to smoke.
- Children, in most cases, are allowed to visit, provided they are accompanied by an adult at all times. The patient's nurse should be consulted before visits from children. In addition, because small children often become restless, their visits should be brief. Parents also should consider how the visit will affect both patient and child, as well as the patient's roommate.
1 to 8 p.m.
Intensive Care/Coronary Care Unit
Five Minutes Every Hour on the Hour - 1 to 8 p.m.
Inpatient Psychiatric Program
Monday through Friday - 6 to 8 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 1 to 3:30 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.
Friends or relatives should call the floor nurse's station for information on a patient's condition. Phone numbers for the nurse's stations are as follows:
Second Floor - 860-684-8120
Third Floor - 860-684-8130
Intensive Care Unit - 860-684-8220
Inpatient Psychiatry - 860-684-8290
To reach patients directly, call JMH's main number at 860-684-4251 or 860-749-2201 and then dial the four-digit extension, which is the number "6" followed by the patient's three-digit room number. For operator assistance, call 860-684-4251 or 860-749-2201. Hearing-impaired individuals can access the JMH's TTY number at 860-684-8441.
The Cafeteria is located on the basement level of JMH. A nominal surcharge is added to visitor meals, which are available to visitors daily during the following times:
Coffee/Pastry - 9:15 to 10:30 a.m.
Lunch - 11:30 to 1:15 p.m.
Dinner - 5 to 6:15 p.m.
Special arrangements may be made for visitors to purchase a guest tray if they'd like to eat in the room with the patient. These arrangements can be made by calling the Dietary Department at extension 5167. Food and beverage vending machines are located in the Emergency Department lobby.
Located in the main lobby, the Gift Shop is staffed by volunteers and is normally open during visiting hours. The Shop is sponsored by the Johnson Memorial Hospital Auxiliary and offers a unique selection of greeting cards, fresh flowers, toys, candy, reading materials, jewelry, toiletries and gifts.
All visitors are asked to park in lots specifically designated for visitors. Parking is provided free of charge.
Public telephones are located in the main lobby, on the ground floor, on each patient floor and in the Emergency Department. All pay telephones are TTY equipped.
An ATM is located in the Emergency Department lobby.
Newspapers can be purchased from a box located outside of the main lobby.
Diaper Changing Station
For the convenience of visitors with young children, a diaper changing station is located in the restroom off the main lobby.